Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ametauss, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ametauss

ametauss Songster

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I have some Aracuna young hens and they just started to lay.

I also have a show girl rooster that is mating (when the Aracuna rooster isn't watching) with these young hens....

Will an Aracuna lay different types of eggs based upon the roo that's mating her??

I'm sometimes getting some small white eggs and I don't know who their coming from....

I lost all of my silkie hens to the coon so there's no other small hens around to lay these eggs...

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Will an Aracuna lay different types of eggs based upon the roo that's mating her??
    No. The only difference will be if you decide to hatch some of the eggs. The rooster has no impact on the eggs being laid other than whether they are ferilized.

I'm sometimes getting some small white eggs and I don't know who their coming from....
    When pullets first start to lay, you may get all sorts of strange eggs, small, large, no yolk, no white, rough shell, strange shapes, just about anything you can imagine. Usually they straighten out pretty quickly and almost always within two weeks of starting to lay. Their egglaying system just has to work out the kinks.

3. ametauss

ametauss Songster

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Thanks for the info...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: