Egg question....

Maggies Pop

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Middletown (No CAL)
....not sure if this is the right place or not.

A couple of hens finally started laying a few weeks ago. I got the brilliant idea to hard boil a few to make an egg sandwich. The only problem is trying to peel the darn things. Taking off the shell makes half the white of the egg off with it.

This is really my first experience with fresh eggs. The taste wonderful, but its kind of disappointing. There is no way I can make deviled eggs with these things. We are just feeding them laying feed with scraps of veggies, fruits, etc

Thanks!

-Bobbi

In fresh eggs the membraine is still fresh and attached to the shell. In an older egg the membraine has dried a lil and shrunk/seperated . ( on the micro level) this slight seperation is what makes them easier to seperate. I have heard of the salt and vinager method but have not tried it. I just wait a week or so in the fridge.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Fresh eggs don't hard boil well. Keep some in the fridge a few weeks. Eggs are good for months refrigerated.
wink.png

Wow, funny you should mention this. I started keeping fresh eggs in a basket on the counter till the wire basket fills up and then when the basket is full I put them in an egg carton and stick them in the fridge. Well I had a full room temp basket on the counter and 2 eggs left in the carton in the fridge. I wanted to make hard boiled eggs for a potato salad and needed 4 eggs so I took the two eggs from the carton in the fridge and two room temp eggs and put them in cold water and cooked them for 10 minutes... When I peeled them two of them were really hard to peel and two of them were really easy to peel...like yours two were just about down to the yoke by the time I was done... so I performed an experiment, I took a room temperature egg and boiled it for 10 minutes and peeled it, the white tore up, them I tried a refridgerated one and boiled it and it peeled really nicely, didn't even scratch the white...so now, I refridgerate them before I boil them...
smile.png

There was a thread on this a while back. The jist of it is as follows.
Boil the water first, THEN add the eggs, return water to a boil and time for 10 minutes, when done run pan under cold water until eggs are completely cool.
We can take an egg right from the coop and boil it this way and it peels perfectly.

Quote:
I essentially do what they posted, but I dont' let them cool "completely" coz it takes a while -- the trick for me is to ice them down till they are somewhat cooled, then peel them under a steady stream of coolish/lukewarm water. The water gets between the egg and the shell as you go and eases removal. I have found that lukewarm water works better for this than frigid-cold water - AND it's easier on the fingers.

But yes, I still PREFER to hard boil slightly older eggs when I can.

I second Tala's post!
smile.png

Quote:
I essentially do what they posted, but I dont' let them cool "completely" coz it takes a while -- the trick for me is to ice them down till they are somewhat cooled, then peel them under a steady stream of coolish/lukewarm water. The water gets between the egg and the shell as you go and eases removal. I have found that lukewarm water works better for this than frigid-cold water - AND it's easier on the fingers.

But yes, I still PREFER to hard boil slightly older eggs when I can.

Back
Top Bottom