Egg question

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by crittersitter, Jun 14, 2011.

1. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    My friends male chinese golden pheasant died one month ago and his female companion is now sitting on 8 eggs. Is there any chance these are a fertilized eggs? These belong to a friend of mine and I don't know anything about pheasants. Should the eggs be taken away? Thank you!

2. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    you could candle them to see

3. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    From what I've seen sperm can be viable for 11-42 days according to a Pheasants Forever site. Candling is difficult at best and information more so. :-/ When to give up is a difficult bit of information. I've got most of the eggs set last month still doing nothing, but 2 out of 12 hatching (and 1 of those died) makes it so not good and information is tough to get what to change. Good luck with yours.

4. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    Thank you. It is difficult to find information on pheasants. Mostly we feel sorry for her because she lost her mate and obviously wants to be a mama now. She is crazy protective of her nest and quite intimidating when you approach her. I guess we will just nature takes its course and for her sake I do hope she gets to be a mama. Thanks for the info.

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Of course they are fertile.The male breeds the female in Feb-Mar and then they very rarely see each other.I have heard that when they breed,she is fertile for the season.I am not sure if it's true,but you very rarely see a female and male together in the wild.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by