Egg Question

Chicken Boy-17

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Woodstock, GA
My leghorns just layed the 1st egg at the begining of the week, they layed a second egg the following day. It has been three days scence the last time they layed an egg. It dosn't make scence how they would lay two days in a row and then not lay three days straight. Is this just how it works when they 1st start out laying?
idunno.gif

Thats how they do it. The whole egg laying thing is new to them and they are trying to figure it out. Takes a while for them to get the factory running at peak performance.

Yep, egg laying at first can be sporadic and egg sizes while initially on the small size can go from small to huge! They eventually develop consistency in size and frequency. Be patient and enjoy those eggs! Kids usually love those kids sized eggs you get from young chickens.

i was about to ask the same question....because mine has been laying consistently now for the last 3 days hasnt...this makes me feel alot better...i just dont understand how something so big comes out of such a tiny chicken...poor thing..i would need a break too....i just wish my banty would go broody...i want baby chickens and or ill let her sit on my duck eggs...lol...

Quote:
Funny post.
I have 12 hens, mixed breeds, some started laying at 15 wks and are now 21wks. I'm averaging 10 eggs per day for the past week, is that good? Also, one of hens has been laying double yolks almost 100% since day one, the last one weighed 80 grams, any ideas as to what that means? She's an R.I. Red X Columbian Rock from Fry's.

My 11 RIR started laying 3 weeks ago. We'd get one egg, then three, then two. Now we are collecting between five and eight every day. At least three still have not laid anything, but they sure are cool to watch! The egg laying takes a while for them to adjust to. Be careful what you wish for...I have four dozen in the fridge! Good cluck!

Back
Top Bottom