EGG QUESTION

sixshooter60

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Stuart Oklahoma
Im new to raising quail and got a question about egg color.. My cots are just starting to lay .They are about 8 weeks old.. Yesterday i got an egg that is almost blue . it looks iike some of my eggs from my EEs.. i was wondering if this is something that could be bred into them or is just a freak deal ..

I get a blue, white, or green egg occasionally, but the next day it's spotted again. I don't know if it's something that could be bred for, I think it just happens when the hen's in a hurry and forgets the last coat.

i know of some people that gets a blue speckle egg everyday from a certian bird, like clockwork, i'm sure if its an everyday occurance then yea, it could maybe be breed for. but mostly just a freak accident

Lol. I have one that lays a blue egg, the other lays a white one. Occasionally they don't speckle them, but I just figured it's because they are new layers. I don't like the all blue eggs, they are impossible to candle. If you want to breed for that though, you don't need to know who lays it. Just incubate all the blue eggs you get, and work from there I would think.

I took
a picture of it but it don't show blue in the pic looks more white. only problem is i dont have a clue which one laid it..lol...

The Blue color is caused by the blue tent on the back of the egg membrane. If you back light the egg, then it should show up in a pic. Personally not something I'm shooting for, because the eggs are generally lacking in yolk, as well as shell cover.

The Blue color is caused by the blue tent on the back of the egg membrane. If you back light the egg, then it should show up in a pic. Personally not something I'm shooting for, because the eggs are generally lacking in yolk, as well as shell cover.

Please explain what you mean by lack of yolk and shell cover.. i dont understand what egg color has to do with yolk.

Back
Top Bottom