Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GuineaLady93, Jan 30, 2012.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Ok, lets say one of my chickens lays an egg in the morning and I go get it and bring it in, how long can the egg sit on the counter before it goes bad?

2. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    2 weeks. Egg can keep up to 2 weeks at room temperature.

But more realistically speaking. Sometimes I go collect my eggs and don't actually put them in the fridge until the next day. So if you are leaving it out for a couple of hours it wouldn't hurt. Now for hot hot summer days I would leave my eggs out in that heat for a full 24 hours but a few hours doesn't hurt. My chickens lay most of their eggs by noon and sometimes I don't go collect them until 5 and sometimes don't put them up until the next day. I leave them on my counter top in the house.

3. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    It won't go bad for weeks. But in the US, most folks put them in the fridge. Just let it cool off, before putting in the refrigerator.

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Before washing, several weeks (I see you are in NC and generally the temps arent in the 90+ range too often) or assuming you use air conditioning)

If you wash them, Refrigerate innediately.

RobertH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by