egg question

new2ducks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Colorado
Ok, I've had my ducks and eggs for awhile but I got spooked when I saw a thread on here about someone getting salmonela from their duck eggs! I put my eggs in the fridge when I get them and I just wash the shells with a little soap before I crack them...hopefully that's the right thing to do.
Also, it's been cold here at night and over cast during the day so since today was sunny, I raked out the dog kennel and the straw in the house to let everything air out. I found 6 eggs in the straw in the house and they were all cold. Would they be alright to eat if I put them in the fridge? Some of them have been out for about 4 days and I have no way of telling which ones are the oldest eggs!

if you read that entire thread there are posts pointing out how the poster couldn't have contracted salmonella and know it without seeing a doctor. It was more likely to be food poisoning from something they ate. yes if you are washing them before cracking and using warm water you are doing good. We wash our before storage if very dirty, otherwise just before using.

Ok, I've had my ducks and eggs for awhile but I got spooked when I saw a thread on here about someone getting salmonela from their duck eggs! I put my eggs in the fridge when I get them and I just wash the shells with a little soap before I crack them...hopefully that's the right thing to do.

Also, it's been cold here at night and over cast during the day so since today was sunny, I raked out the dog kennel and the straw in the house to let everything air out. I found 6 eggs in the straw in the house and they were all cold. Would they be alright to eat if I put them in the fridge? Some of them have been out for about 4 days and I have no way of telling which ones are the oldest eggs!

You could potentially get salmonella from eating any raw or undercooked eggs - even store bought eggs. Personally, I don't worry about it.

As far as keeping the eggs you found, they are probably OK as long as day time temps have stayed low, but I would probably just feed them to the dogs. Food poisoning is no fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom