Egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whidbeynurse, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Whidbeynurse

Whidbeynurse Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    I have four 21-week old Barred Rock hens. 1 has been laying consistently in the nest box for the past week. 4 days ago I found 2 eggs but since then only 1 a day. This morning I went out and found this on the floor of the coop:

[​IMG]

Forgive the mangled appearance. I scooped it out of the coop before the hens could get to it. The yolk is intact and all of the 'white' appears to be there so I don't think any of them were eating it. The 'shell' is paper thin and appears to have ruptured when it was laid. Is this probably a first egg from one of my other hens and is this normal?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Sounds like your hens need a calcium supplement. Usually, even a first time egg, will be perfectly intact. For a supplement, I give mine ground oyster shell with their feed every couple of days. Hope this helps.

HS Pye

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree yes, HS Pey, I plz need to know how you get the bottom msg to display on your post

4. Whidbeynurse

May 12, 2013
    Have been giving them oyster shell (in a dish in the yard they can freely help themselves to). :-\

5. HS Pye

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Ours don't like the oyster shell plain, so I mix it with their feed. Maybe you could try that?

HS Pye

6. Whidbeynurse

May 12, 2013
    Will do. My oyster shell is slightly bigger than the grit I put out for them. They scatter it around but eventually eat it. Can I get it smaller ground? PS, how do you get your scripture verse at the bottom of your post? I like it [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. HS Pye

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    I don't know about getting it smaller ground, you might have to look around. Thank you!

HS Pye

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by