1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Questions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm going with my DH to a civil war reenactment the first weekend in November.

I'm planning on dressing up and selling "period" items to the other campers and maybe to spectators. I'm going to bake homemade bread, make hand dipped candles, traditional lye soap (water, lard and lye) and I want to sell some eggs.

As far as the eggs go. I should have 12 dozen to take with me, if not more. I have about 9 days before the reenactment and I get about 12-16 eggs a day.

What should I do with the eggs? Should I keep them out of the frig and unwashed? Or should I go ahead and start putting them in the frig and hope that the weekend after next is cold so they'll stay cool? It's about 80 degrees today so I doubt it'll be cold in 9 days. I have been wrong before though.

Any suggestions?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it was me, I'd put them in the fridge and the day before you go, take them out and let them come to room temp slowly so they won't have alot of condensation. You probably won't want to put them in a cooler at the event because it would mess up the period look, right?

3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Yeah no coolers or egg cartons. I'll just have a giant basket full of eggs and people can bring their own baskets to fill up. Or ladies can fill up their aprons. They get pretty strict about looking 100% period and all.

I just bought some new civil war period shoes from the company that made Nicole Kidman's shoes for the movie Cold Mountain. I'm very excited to get those. Maybe I'll get all dressed up and post pictures. Better yet I'll just sneak a camera into the reenactment and I'll post pictures of the battle. If I'm allowed to. Am I allowed? The battles are cool. Officers on horseback, cannons going off and guys pretending to die all over the place. My DH usually plays rebel the first day and yankee the second day.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I used to do re-enactments. I love it! I love going to the battles and sutler's tents. My DH isn't much on that type of stuff so all of my old dresses and hoops and hats are hanging in the attic collecting dust.

Please do take photos!

Have a great time!

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Hope you just smile and say thank you when they hand you an Nickle and expect a dozen eggs and change back. [​IMG]

Quote:DH likes to be on the winning team for the final day??[​IMG]

Went through Gettysburg the other day was funny to see teenage girls in full 1800 outfits (full length dresses) with Ipods and talking on the cell. and wearing sunglasses [​IMG]

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    DH likes to be on the winning team for the final day??hu

I'll just email you!

I thought I was asking a question about eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Trisha, you were asking a question about eggs. Hope I answered it for you satisfactorily.

***Thread locked at the request of the original poster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by