egg questions

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
Ok I have a few questions since i am fairly new to this. Just had my last 2 chickens (between 18-22 weeks) start laying so I have 5 laying right now and getting 3-5 a day!

1. Why must all lay their eggs in the same nest box when we have 4 boxes (2 on top of 2) available?
2. I read somewhere I thought that some red by the yolk is common with new layers. Should I be concerned? Once in a while a little bit?
3. My newest layer is a cinnamon sex link and her eggs are these lovely smaller darker brown eggs, but they come out with almost a film on them.... a grey haze on the shell. Is this normal? Worry?

thanks

Hi there!!

to answer your questions......... I have 4 layers, 3 all lay in the same place, one lays on a shelf in my henhouse.

the blood speck is just the body settling in to it's routine, it will pass and theyare good to eat.

the film on your eggs won't hurt, don't worry..........

any more questions?

Gavin.

Hey there!

So I am very new too to chickens and eggs, but have done a pile of reading so I am going to summarize what I read on here and have talked to others about. I hope you don't mind it isn't first hand experience.

1.) From what I have seen and heard there seems to be a "favorite" box. My sister-in-law had 8 chickens and built 8 boxes. They all lay in 2 of the boxes and they prefer 1 over the other. I think the other is used as a backup when the favorite one is busy. Not sure why though. Maybe there is some chicken preferences we can't tell as humans.
2.) I know I have read what this is, but I can't recall the answer to it. I don't believe it is too concerning, as I get this even in store bought organic eggs.
3.) The film is called the "bloom". It is natural and "seal the pores" of the egg so to speak. So it is a good thing and the thicker the better I would say since it is to keep the egg "sterile".

Hope that helps.

1. Why must all lay their eggs in the same nest box when we have 4 boxes (2 on top of 2) available?

Like why women must go to the bathroom together in public places, this shall forever remain a mystery to men, and maybe to women. Frankly, I don't know. It is common behavior so don't worry about it.

2. I read somewhere I thought that some red by the yolk is common with new layers. Should I be concerned? Once in a while a little bit?

Check out this link, especially bloods spots in internal defects. Those and certain other defects are more common in young layers but can happen with any aged chickens. It often takes a while for their internal egg laying factory to get all the kinks worked out. I currently have one that consistently does that at over nine months old. Since I still need to reduce my laying/breeding flock a bit, she will not make the final cut. I don't find it a problem in a pullet just learning to lay or even an occasional occurrence, but consistency is not always a good thing.

Egg Quality Handbook
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Comercial operations electronically candle their eggs so that any that have blood spots, meat spots, or certain other defects are not sold to the public. These eggs are perfectly OK and are often sold to bakeries or such where the egg is beaten and mixed with other things so the defect does not show.

3. My newest layer is a cinnamon sex link and her eggs are these lovely smaller darker brown eggs, but they come out with almost a film on them.... a grey haze on the shell. Is this normal? Worry?

Are you talking about the bloom? This is a layer that every hen puts on an egg just as it is laid. If you notice a freshly laid egg looks wet but will dry rapidly. The bloom is a coating the hen puts on the egg to slow bacteria from entering the porous shell.

Back
Top Bottom