Egg retrieving Dog??

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
My recent rescue dog, Layla, has taken a sudden liking to collecting and bringing me duck eggs! She only takes the new ones from under the coop, never bothers the mommas. I am waiting for her to bring me a chicken egg, lol.

She was so gentle with the first one & it was just so funny...
She went over to the coop (we were in the wood shed) and came trotting back after a minute and sat down and set her egg down next to her..she sat there looking at us, then the egg, then us until i finally went and picked it up...it was just too cute! like, "hey mom, look what i got you!" She only had 1 little crack in the shell where her K9 had poked it, but just the fact that it wasnt mushed really amazed me!

Does anyone else have a dog that enjoys collecting duck/chicken eggs for them?

f0ygja.jpg

Aww thats sweet and a nice looking dog she is. Good job on the rescue.

Around here, (and anywhere else I've ever been) egg retrieving dogs soon become egg sucking dogs. I know we like to think the best here at BYC, but that dog is one tooth away from a bad habit. Break her of egg retrieving now, or keep her away from them.

She's just a dog, after all.

Last edited:
That was my first though.."Crap! she's an egg sucker!" but she's been really good...I think it was mostly because she always saw me collecting them and I didn't have any toys for her to begin with..she's been toting around a little stuffy the last few days and hasnt been around the coop but a few times with me...I think she just had to learn what a toy was since she's never had one before.
hmm.png

She already has a new home set up for when her pups are all adopted. they don't have any chickens or ducks so it shouldnt be a problem at her new home....it really was just adorable though.
tongue.png

Quote:
I've had "really good dogs," too.
smile.png
Believing they were was my first mistake
sad.png

Do what you want, but dogs are animals and cant help that. They depend on us to be smarter than they.

I urge you to give her something else to do, and it sounds like you've drawn the same conclusion.

Our Cavalier used to do that when we had a small coop in the backyard in Texas. He always went with my wife out to the coop when she collected eggs. After a while he started going out to the coop on his own and would gently pick up an egg, bring it into the house, and lay it at my wife's feet.

Quote:
And she does look like a very nice dog.

Oh but I see the mischeif in her eyes
big_smile.png
She looks like my Pit Bull young un...don't turn your back on a pair of work gloves!!
lol.png

Adorable dog.
love.gif

This wasn't an egg collecting dog, but your story reminded me of her. My friend used to have this lab who would help us find, and dig up quahogs. She was awesome! We would come home with buckets full of quahogs.
gig.gif

Bluemoon

Back
Top Bottom