Egg rolled over face down onto it's Pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I'vegotchickenfever, Mar 13, 2009.

1. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Will it still be able to hatch? Do I need to do something The other hatched chicks keep rollin' them over.

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I believe it will be ok.
    Do not open the bator!
    Sounds like with all the activity of the other chicks it will probably be rolled again to another position.
    The pip facing down probably won't keep the little guy from zipping.
    Carolyn

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'vegotchickenfever :

Will it still be able to hatch? Do I need to do something The other hatched chicks keep rollin' them over.

This is the reason I started hatching in egg cartons. Most of the time they'll still be fine, but I've had them get stuck in that position. I wouldn't open the bator tho unless it's the only egg that's left to hatch.​

4. I'vegotchickenfever

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Sounds like with all the activity of the other chicks it will probably be rolled again to another position.

yes, they have rolled up and then rolled it face down again. That's where they left it. I hate feeling so helpless:(

5. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I'vegotchickenfever :

yes, they have rolled up and then rolled it face down again. That's where they left it. I hate feeling so helpless:(

Don't be, I bet it will be just fine. [​IMG]
    Carolyn​

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it will be fine. With all of my past hatches, I have had them laying on their sides. They got knocked around by the other chicks too. They turned out OK.

This current hatch, I have them in egg cartons. So far so good with the carton method as well.

Good luck! [​IMG]

7. I'vegotchickenfever

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    This current hatch, I have them in egg cartons. So far so good with the carton method as well.

Just recently heard about this. Maybe I'll do my homework and if we do this again, I'll have some options.

Thanks Y'all​

8. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I did my last hatch using cartons and it worked well.
    Made clean up a bit easier, too.
    Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by