Egg Sac not fully absorbed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mimu, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Mimu

Mimu New Egg

Nov 15, 2010
    What could be the problem?

I helped a chick hatch and when it open the egg sac was not fully absorbed the yellow jell type thing inside the egg.

And the navel is still connected to it and I cut it with a scissor, so far the chick still lives and hoping it will grow normal.

I read some post saying it's to much humidity, to much humidity when? During the incubation period or during the lockdown period?

I'm a noob in incubation, thanks to many info here so far Im doing good my hatch rate are 65% - 100% and I just started incubating last october.

My incubator is stryfoam type that I made, and I don't have any instrument to measure humidity, can't find anything here in our location.

How to I know I'm in safe zone in terms in incubation humidity?

2. Mimu

Mimu New Egg

Nov 15, 2010
    Any help from the experts.

3. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    Well, maybe the yolk sac isn't fully absorbed because you helped the chick hatch... It's not really a good idea to help them.

Also, there are tons of posts about humidity and how to manage it. Do a search about it and then buy a hygrometer.

Furthermore, sometimes the chicks just don't make it out of the shell for one reason or another.

I had 32 out of 38 chick hatch from Trader Joe's eggs and when I did the "eggtopsy", the 6 that didn't hatch had not fully absorbed the yolks. No explanation for it. It just happens.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What made you decide to help it out?

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

They're still absorbing the yolk after they pip. It can take 24 hours or sometimes more for the chick to hatch after it pips. It can be spooky the first time and sometimes people help because they think the chick has gotten weak and will die without assistance when actually the chick is still absorbing the yolk, the veins that connect it are shrinking and drying and the chick is just resting 'cause hatching is really hard work. Now you know for next time--Sit on Your Hands--Do not Open the Bator--

If the yolk sac isn't too large you can wrap it in a mois cloth and put the chick in a teacup (or similar) to keep it from moving around too much. The idea is to keep the chick (or its hatchmates) from tearing the yolk sac open since they seldom survive that. If you can keep the sac intact it may be able to absorb even though the chick is out of the protective shell. Best of luck. [​IMG]

ETA: I should read more carefully. If I got it right you cut the sac off... As far as humidity, the only way to know it's where it should be is to get a hygrometer and calibrate it--less then $15.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    If theres nothing in your area to measure humidity you could always buy a hygrometer through mail order. They have them on Ebay and Amazon, I bought a hygrometer/thermometer combined through Ebay for $7 including postage, I know its just a cheapie and may not be totally accurate but better than having none at all and guessing the humidity.

7. Mimu

Mimu New Egg

Nov 15, 2010
    Thx for the response guys, I learned a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by