Egg safety question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by idiganthro, Nov 18, 2009.

1. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I'm still new to keeping chickens. I have 5 and they are laying very well. I couldn't find the answer to my specific question online.
    Today we came home from work (about 4:45 pm) and there were 4 eggs in the nesting box. One of our hens was sitting on 2 of the 4 eggs. I don't know what time the eggs were laid today, or how long she was sitting on them. If they have been "warmed" by hen for part of the day, are they still safe to eat? The outside temp was in the mid 60s today.

Thanks for helping me learn!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They will be just fine.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

They will be fine.

4. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    All of our hens seem to prefer the same nesting box , even though they have 8 to choose from. One lays an egg, and everyone stands in line waiting their turn. I can only get the eggs when they have gone to roost. So thats a whole day of hens sitting on the clutch. It takes several days for eggs to "set" - and thats in an incubator, turning the eggs 2-3 times a day, 100 degrees etc.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They're fine. I'd still use 'em even after a couple of days. We sell large amounts of eggs to our organic co-op and they require them to be refrigerated within 36 hours. Once they are refrigerated though the egg cooler temperature can't rise above 60 for more than 12 hours or they won't take the eggs.

6. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Thanks for confirming what I already thought! I was just being a little hyper. Nice to have information from the experts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by