Egg safety...quick question, need quick answer

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
My toddler is asking for "bird eggs" for lunch. I scrambled him two of our hens eggs but remembered that I lightly dusted her with Sevin about one week ago. Is it safe to feed the eggs to my son? (He's temporarily distracted with a sliced tomato but is periodically asking for his bird eggs...

According to The Journal of Pesticide Reform, Volume 13, Number 2, Spring 1993. Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides, Eugene, OR. ...

Chickens treated for mites with a carbaryl dip laid eggs with carbaryl residues for 56 days after treatment.

:|

Yikes. I didn't give the eggs to ds...I won't be treating the laying hens with anymore Sevin. Unfortunately my husband did eat the eggs because he insisted they were fine.
roll.png

I'm not sure what to do with the incoming birds that I need to treat for mites.
sad.png

Thank you very much for the responses! I knew Sevin was highly toxic but I wasn't sure if it would affect the safety of her eggs.

So roughly 3 more months and the eggs should be safe to eat again?

That's why I use Permectrin Fly and Louse Dust. It uses permethrin which can be used on vegetable gardens. I still wash egg shells before breaking open and it probably would be best to just toss the eggs for a few days after since you have a little one. But we've had no trouble at all.

Quote:
I think I'll pick some up today! Thanks. I saw some at TSC but passed it up because I'd only heard Sevin recommended as a reliable treatment. I obviously don't want to poison my birds or my family. I'm sad that we have to avoid the eggs for 3 months but if that is safer then we certainly will!

I just read through some articles and I'm confused at to why Sevin is so commonly used when it seems so dangerous compared with other treatments.

Thank you again! I really appreciate all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom