Safety of Eggs after a Lash Egg

Swbertrand1

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 21, 2018
Wilmington, NC
Hey everyone.

I'm not really finding what I'm looking for, thus the new post regarding safety of eggs. A roughly 5-yr old Golden Comet layer has produced for years. About October of last year she stopped laying altogether. Fast-forward to February 2024 and she lays what I believe is a Lash Egg. It was firm with no shell and was expelled with the other tissue shown in the photos.

Our research into lash eggs describes a nasty internal/reproductive infection in the bird that is usually fatal. So, my question:

Since she has since gone back to laying as normal, are the eggs safe to consume? They look normal when cracked open, but we don't want to consume or give away eggs that might be unhealthy. Thoughts? Advice? Wisdom?

Thank you!

This is the egg she laid in February on the left, and it was quite firm but with no rigid shell. The kidney-shaped thing was a rubbery feeling solid as well, expelled at the same time as the lash egg:
IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

infection in the bird that is usually fatal
No it isn't. It is a sign there was an infection in the reproductive tract. I had a hen lay lash material when she was 2. She will be 6 next month and never show any signs of illness and still lays.
Since she has since gone back to laying as normal, are the eggs safe to consume?
They are fine to eat.

No it isn't. It is a sign there was an infection in the reproductive tract. I had a hen lay lash material when she was 2. She will be 6 next month and never show any signs of illness and still lays.

They are fine to eat.
Hey Dobie! Nice to hear from you after so long!

Thank you for the reply. She definitely had something going on as she didn't lay for months, then expelled what you see in the photos. We have now collected over a dozen of her eggs and needed a trusted word on whether they were ok to eat again.

Thank you for the information! S :)

Back
Top Bottom