Egg Salad for Sandwiches?

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
I didn't see it in the index, so thought I'd ask: Can y'all give me your versions of egg salad--the kind that you would chill and serve in sandwiches? My 5yo daughter has read about "egg salad sandwiches" somewhere, and is asking to try one! And I haven't eaten egg salad in YEARS, and certainly don't recall what might be in it, besides Miracle Whip.

And then a followup question: Would you consider egg salad to be "travel-safe" enough to go in a kid's lunch, to school?

I like chopped eggs, mayo, a bit each of chopped red onion and sweet pickle relish, and salt and pepper to taste. Not any particular amounts of anything just eyeball it. Adjust the ingredients to suit your taste!
tongue.png

I would think it would be okay in a lunch box for a few hours. Add a frozen juice box or some frozen grapes if you are worried about it.

Last edited:
For our family Egg Salad Sandwiches are made like this....

(Toast the bread if not eating right away)

about 3 hard boiled eggs...
chop up two of the eggs into small pieces (think diced)
take the yolk from the third egg and smash it up, stir in a teaspoon of mustard and two tablespoons of mayo. (add more mayo or mustard if you want it more moist)
carefully fold chopped egg into mayo mix....
salt and pepper to taste.
chill for a bit

Things you can add....
celery seed
diced celery
diced onion
diced ham / spam
crumbled bacon
a leaf of lettuce on the bread

But...especially if for kids...less added is more.

As for packing for a school lunch...due to the mayo I wouldn't let it sit out long...but if it will be eaten by noon or so...you could make sandwich sized ice packs like this......
take two sandwich sized zipp lock bags...fill them with water and freeze them laying flat. when packing lunch place each one on either side of the sandwich. (it helps to wrap these baggies in either foil or another baggy so that the condensation of them melting doesn't make your sandwich soggy)

PA, that sounds good! The sandwiches I remember as a kid started with scrambled eggs...does anyone remember that, or was my family just weird? (Well, I know we were, but you know what I mean!)
lol.png

My mom used to make us fried egg sandwiches, over-hard, with just salt and pepper. I prefer my eggs scrambled and usually make them a sandwich with a slice of toast, and again just salt and pepper.

Egg salad sandwiches are my latest favorite! I take 2 or 3 hardboiled eggs, mash them up with a fork. I don't measure, but add mayo slowly to the right texture, then I add in prepared mustard, salt and pepper to taste--and that's it. If I feel like improving on it a little bit, I add in some finely diced celery.

We had egg salad sandwiches for lunch. Chopped hard boiled eggs with salt, pepper and mayo or Miracle Whip to taste. Nothing fancy but its tasty on bread or crackers.

Back
Top Bottom