Egg sanitizing

njurado

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Hello, well we finally got our first egg and my children, got bless the little cannibals, want to eat! Is there any type of washing I need to do to the egg? And what is the best way to keep eggs that are laid? Thanks for any help.
big_smile.png

I wipe mine off with my hands under some water just befor I carck them open. If they are real dirty I'll clean them before I put them in the carton. Some say they don't last that long if they are cleaned but others don't buy into that theory. I suggust you do what YOU think is best.

I have never washed an egg in the 7 years I have raised chickens. If you are going to store them to eat, put them in the fridge with the big end up. If you are storing them to hatch keep them at room temp big end up for no longer than 7 days.

Oh, Boy!!! This is one of those topics that everyone has a different opinion on!
smile.png

Personally, if the egg is clean I never wash it. There is a natural "bloom" or "cuticle" on the egg that prevents bacteria from entering through the porous shell. If the egg is dirty, be sure to wash it with water that's warmer than the egg. If you use colder water the shell will contract and draw impurities into the egg. The egg washers (in the above post) also work well. It really depends on what you're comfortable with. Whatever you decide, enjoy your eggs!
big_smile.png

I store clean eggs unwashed, as they will stay fresher, longer. I use the oldest eggs first. If I do get a dirty egg, I wash it thoroughly, with mild soap and a brush. That egg gets used right away.

Clean eggs only get a quick rinse under the faucet before using.

Never wash mine unless there is poop on it and even then, only with a paper towel with very warm water and wipe off the poop. If it was really bad, I'd wash it, but I have rarely had one like that because I monitor the nestboxes quite a bit and change out of add straw as needed.

No one denies the bloom exists on an egg. But if you are refrigerating an egg, how much difference can it really make. I say do what you want with your eggs. But if you ever have guests over to your house and they eat eggs (or you sell eggs, or even give them away), do wash your eggs. It's cheap insurance to protect your interests. And it's kind of fun washing them. They look so awesome afterwards.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom