Egg scattering

lk4family

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
I added five new chicks six months ago and apparently some of them have started laying. (We have a total of ten hens) for the last three days when I have gone to collect eggs I have found some eggs scattered and buried under pine shavings, cracked etc. I think the young girls are clearing out the laying boxes first and the whole coop is in upheaval. Will this behavior pass? Do I need to get extra boxes? We have three boxes. Thoughts?

I added five new chicks six months ago and apparently some of them have started laying. (We have a total of ten hens) for the last three days when I have gone to collect eggs I have found some eggs scattered and buried under pine shavings, cracked etc. I think the young girls are clearing out the laying boxes first and the whole coop is in upheaval. Will this behavior pass? Do I need to get extra boxes? We have three boxes. Thoughts?
My chickens like hiding eggs, but I think you have something different. Do you notice a lot of pecking in between the two batches of hens? Some hens ( mine at least) like to chase the lower in the pecking order hens out of the nest :D

3 boxes should be enough, but it will take some time for things to settle down.

New layers do weird things and can take up to a month or so to get in the groove.

Back
Top Bottom