Egg selection

LABird

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
If I pick large eggs to hatch, will the resulting chickens produce larger eggs? In other words, is there a way to select for hens that produce larger eggs other than picking breeds that lay larger eggs?

I have 6 hen's and only one lay's a massive huge egg. I read up on it and it has something to do with their endoskeleton. It is larger than other hen,s. I have to put her on a calcium supplement because it does take a lot out of them. It's really not good for them to lay such large eggs if they don't have enough calcium more than the other chickens they get really sick. Here's a picture of all six eggs and trying to pull this baby out think about it it must hurt. The others are a little smaller because it's getting colder outside but usually they lay a little bit bigger I know this is long sorry.
16385540484268155647849615291167.jpg
16385539327338954173642606475762.jpg

So what if they have adequate calcium? My girls have been laying 2.25 to 3 oz eggs all autumn. They seem fine, the eggs never have blood one the outside, nobody seems to have problems laying them. If hatched, will these result in chickens that lay x-large eggs? Clearly these girls have the capacity to lay larger eggs.

I have 6 hen's and only one lay's a massive huge egg. I read up on it and it has something to do with their endoskeleton. It is larger than other hen,s. I have to put her on a calcium supplement because it does take a lot out of them. It's really not good for them to lay such large eggs if they don't have enough calcium more than the other chickens they get really sick. Here's a picture of all six eggs and trying to pull this baby out think about it it must hurt. The others are a little smaller because it's getting colder outside but usually they lay a little bit bigger I know this is long sorry.View attachment 2917386View attachment 2917384
Thanks kellyjenny

Shipped eggs I would ask for the smaller eggs, they do ship better. If you are setting eggs from your own hens it is best to set normal to smaller eggs.

Shipped eggs I would ask for the smaller eggs, they do ship better. If you are setting eggs from your own hens it is best to set normal to smaller eggs.
Interesting. What’s the thought behind this practice? I know with other livestock you select for desired traits—larger Loin eye for bigger steaks or chops, bigger breasted poultry for more breast meat, etc.

Yeah if you give them adequate calcium that's good That's fine My daughter just cracked two of Molly's eggs they were huge she usually doesn't have two in a row that big.she usually has a big one once a week. My daughter mad cupcakes cracked them, both double jokers sometimes they're not sometimes they are. But that's not the biggest she's ever had there's bigger ones. I think there's a post that I did a while ago I'll try to find it and post it to you.

Back
Top Bottom