Egg selling question

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
My girls are on a roll and laying great. I'm starting to get a little over abundant with eggs. I do however have some coworkers who are asking to buy some eggs. My question is what should i be charging for a dozen and whats the BEST way to keep them in my truck till quiting time? In a Cooler? Whats everyone else doing?Thank you

Well, please don't undersell yourself! I'd say start around $3 a dozen, depending on where you live. Maybe check your local craigslist and see if anyone else is selling and what they're charging. Yes, it may seem like a lot, buy you're selling a quality product, and you have feed costs to recoup. I just hate to see folks selling eggs for under $2 a dozen, cause they think that's all the market will bear. To me, at that point, you might as well give them away.

If the weather's not too hot, I'd just leave them in the rig, or bring them into where you work. If you have folks freaked cause they're not refridgerated, by all means keep them in a cooler. They don't really need it, thought, unless it's pretty warm outside.

I am planning to start sharing eggs with my co-workers. I will let them know that they are welcome to the eggs for free. I love sharing with people. But if they want to pay for the eggs, which most have said they want to, they are $4 a dozen. I am glad to give someone something but I do not want to be insulted by giving me less than some things worth. I spend lots of time and effort making sure my eggs are the best they can be. I have a garden next to my coop and I feed my chickens turnip greens or kale and marigolds every day. Plus the layer ration and all the other stuff we give our chickens.

In our area, a dozen brown eggs sells @ WalMart for $2.46. Cage Free, Organic brown eggs $4.29.
So.... I feel like everyone I sell to is getting a great deal:
I sell my girls eggs at different prices actually.....

People at church $1.50 dozen when they provide a carton ($2 without a carton).

People at work $2.00 dozen with a carton ($2.50 without).

Strangers and so-forth $3.50 straight up, but I provide a new clean unused carton (that I buy for $.48 each plus tax)

The reason I charge differently is because I have different relationships with all these people. Also, I give eggs away to my neighbors and family. My hens are quite generous.

Now that we are in the fall molt and laying MUCH less, I just tell everyone the factory is closed for the season, lol.

I agree with a previous poster...look at craigslist and the local newspaper before you decide how much you want to charge. At least make enough to buy the feed to support your girls.

I have only been getting eggs for a few months and my 22 EE are just now starting to lay. I have so many people asking for eggs, there is a huge untapped market here. We are charging $3 a dozen.

I have to be honest, I have a horrible time taking money from friends. I hope it gets easier. Probably might be easier if it was a more expensive commodity, but I feel funny taking $3, wonder why? Anyway, I am trying to at least recoup some food money, we still have quite a few none layers (didn't expect to have full product til late October/nov) so don't expect to break even yet, just help out with feed.

Ok, this is my very 1st post. Just actually signed up about a week ago. Yeah! Had on my "bucket list" for a few yrs that I wanted some chix. Also, thought they were flighty, bony & thought they'd peck a human to death! I'm so laughing right now as I have the most docile, softest girls ever! Got at a day old 4/13/10. I remember someone telling me this site was like the "bible" of chicken raising so I did sooooooo much research for a few months before I got them. I really appreciate all the Q's & A's!

Any whoooo... I do ask for a min. donation to my feed fund (& of course to help w/ electric for the heat lamps in winter
wink.png

as I don't like the word "sell" when it comes to friends but hey! They need to have a warm pine litter bed too!
yippiechickie.gif
Need to tell you though, if you start low ppl will freak if you increase a quarter! Embarresessed that I sold for $1.50 to start but now get $2.25 & worth way more! A local bistro/cheese shop has brown organic (?) eggs for $5.00!

And OMGosh! Do you know you can buy sweaters for chickens online?!!!!!!!!!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom