egg selling

I sell bantam hatching eggs for $5 a dozen. Do you have to have a perment were you live?
we’re not a business so no, i don’t believe. i also don’t think my neighbors will report me for it so we’re good. i’m currently cranking out a lot rn six of them are laying, so it’s a dozen every two days, but we’ll see. i do live close to a pretty fancy neighborhood so i’m not really sure how much they’ll spring for eggs. i was thinking of checking grocery store prices, averaging them out, and going 50 cents lower than that. that way there’s an incentive to buy. how’s that sound?

Don't try and compete with store prices, fresh chicken eggs are way better than store. My aunt in a wealthy area was selling her eggs for $6 a carton maybe 10 years ago. My neighbors here sell their eggs for. $7.50 dz. but Yes they both have a permit.
my family owns a bread business out of our house so technically we've got a permit to operate a business, just the wrong one. I just want to see how much people around here are willing to pay, plus this isn't an enterprise, just something on the side to get rid of the eggs. i don't want to overcharge my neighbors is what i'm worried about. there's also an egg stand a few miles out and they do 5 dollars, but they've got a much wider selection.

I know I sold mine for 2$ (might have been able to sell for more, but this was limited to my coworkersnwho are incredably cheap) a dozen, with the carton being returned
This is what we are going to do. $3.00 a dozen, or $2.00 a dozen with a carton. My husband's coworkers love getting the fresh eggs.

we’re not a business so no, i don’t believe. i also don’t think my neighbors will report me for it so we’re good. i’m currently cranking out a lot rn six of them are laying, so it’s a dozen every two days, but we’ll see. i do live close to a pretty fancy neighborhood so i’m not really sure how much they’ll spring for eggs. i was thinking of checking grocery store prices, averaging them out, and going 50 cents lower than that. that way there’s an incentive to buy. how’s that sound?
Don't claw your way to the bottom of the heap. If your local grocery is selling production farm eggs for $3 I would ask $4-$5 for mine. I sell almost all my eggs to a friend for $2+ cartons. He takes them to where he works and gets $3-$4. Feed prices have gone up this spring here though so I am going to go to $2.50.

And remember, that hen wasn't free, and ate a lot of feed before laying the first egg. Also, Coops, feeders, waters, wire, time all costs and is worth something.

I haven't sold any eggs yet but we may. So far we get about 2 dozen a week and 1 dozen goes to my parents. Anyways. Keep egg carton costs in mind. I was thinking of asking $3 a dozen or $2.50 if they bring their own carton.

Also you may just want to check out your local zoning before you put out signs or something. Or just advertise online and make arrangements for pickup. I'm lucky enough to be on property that's zoned for agriculture and that allows me to sell what I produce or have a produce stand if I want. I also know that if I make over a certain dollar amount (I think it's $200) I would have to have a business license for it and charge taxes etc. But all of that sort of stuff depends on your local laws. Worth looking into depending on what exactly you want to do.

i was thinking of checking grocery store prices, averaging them out, and going 50 cents lower than that. that way there’s an incentive to buy. how’s that sound?

That's probably too little.

There's no way a backyarder can compete with a commercial egg farm on cost so you need to compete on quality.

FRESH farm eggs command a premium price, not a discount.

I suggest you find out what people are selling eggs for at the local farmers' markets.

Back
Top Bottom