egg selling

they do fertilized eggs, and duck eggs, all packed up in a nice little stand
So they sell fertilized chicken eggs(unfertilized also?) and duck eggs.
Duck eggs generally cost more than chicken eggs.
Are they also using terms like free range and/or pastured and/or cage free etc?

When I started selling, one person wouldn't buy from me @ $3.50 because they could get eggs for a buck at a 'farm outlet', but she is known and self admitted cheap skate :gig

Another person was buying cage free eggs at the grocery for $3.50.
Once I explained what 'cage free' really meant, as well as the other 'marketing labels',
she was thrilled to buy from my birds.

So they sell fertilized chicken eggs(unfertilized also?) and duck eggs.
Duck eggs generally cost more than chicken eggs.
Are they also using terms like free range and/or pastured and/or cage free etc?

When I started selling, one person wouldn't buy from me @ $3.50 because they could get eggs for a buck at a 'farm outlet', but she is known and self admitted cheap skate :gig

Another person was buying cage free eggs at the grocery for $3.50.
Once I explained what 'cage free' really meant, as well as the other 'marketing labels',
she was thrilled to buy from my birds.
they're a family farm, there's a stand outside their house. They do duck and chicken and they all cost one price i believe. basically the same thing i would do if i could, but we're not zoned for roosters, and so, fertilized eggs are off the table for selling.

Tuesday, the State is doing a bi-annual testing assay to get me NPIP certified, so I can legally sell chicks and hatching eggs as well. I'll use that to control flock size as needed and further offset feed costs.
That is so strange, but I guess that is part of the difference between states. When I contacted the TN state ag office about NPIP I got the impression that it's voluntary to participate, like it's not required if I want to buy/sell chickens or eggs within the state as a small backyard flock keeper. But it sounds like your goal is as a small business/income. I hope it works out well!

Participation is voluntary, yes, but its free to me - and the only way you can legally transport across state lines around here is from an NPIP flock. I'm very close to two borders, so...

Technically, NPIP is needed for some intrastate shipping, too - but only if your shipment is so big you have to stop at an Ag inspection station on a highway somewhere. Sean and Sarah buying a handful of mutts shouldn't need to.

I figured in for a penny, in for a pound...

But back to the original question - check your local requirements, check your local competition, check your costs, and price accordingly.

I would not give a carton discount, most people want to know their carton can be recycled.
good news! i forgot about this but eggs are needed for the bread we make, (because our eggs aren’t pasteurized we can’t use them for baking). so we don’t need to worry about getting and paying for cartons for no reason! we’re going to start at 5 dollars i think, we can go from there so far.

Back
Top Bottom