1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg shell color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prairie winds, Dec 16, 2010.

1. prairie winds

prairie winds New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    hi everyone long time looker first time to post our girls are brown egg layers they get milo& corn in small amounts mixed in with 16% protein lay pellets they get to free range on oat pasture their shells were med dark brown they are now getting lighter sor of an beige color now we have a light on them they get a total counting daylight hours of 14 hr am just wondering if anyone might know why this is happening thanks in advance

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    How old are they? Are they nearing the end of their lay cycle?

It's normal for brown egg layers to gradually lose shell color as the birds approach the end of a lay cycle. You notice more with birds that lay darker colored eggs. If they haven't yet molted they should return to a normal color once they have and begin laying again.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What A. T. said.

I've noticed my green egg layers getting progressively lighter as they age. I have a variety of brown egg layers of different ages so can't tell it that's also the case. I do remember hearing from a friend that the dark brown breeds give the best color their first year, don't have them so can't verify that personally. I don't think it's a problem.

4. streetglide

streetglide Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Mine just started laying the day after Thanksgiving. The colors are all over the place! Some very dark, some very light, and a whole range of sizes to match! A few of them are so different that I know who layed them.

5. prairie winds

prairie winds New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    the hens won't be a year old until March was wondering if it could be something lacking in their diet that would make the shells lighter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by