Egg shell or oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Swamp Roo, May 11, 2008.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Are there any real advantages to feeding egg shells back to chickens as compared to feeding oyster shell? One way or another I expect to need some oyster shell. I figure the chickens will need more that what the give me in eggs, since some of the Ca will go towards bone and body mantinence. Just wondering if egg shells were "better" and if I should bother to save them from going onto the compost. Thanks.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Th oyster shell is used to help make the egg shell. Why throw the egg shell away when it is proper nutrition and a calcium source for making more egg shells? My hens get both - free choice oyster shell is avaiable at all times. Everything from my kitchen they can eat goes back including the shells.

3. Swamp Roo

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Thanks. I was just wondering if egg shell was in a form that could be utilized better by the chickens than oyster shell (or another Ca source). I plan on feeding my chickens lots of things from the kitchen, just wondering if I should make sure to get them all of the egg shells I could or if it didn't really matter. Thanks again.

4. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

egg shell... sure feed it back. I highly suggest you let it dry out (to get rid of the raw egg taste) and break it up or crush it so it doesn't resemble those round things in their nest.

5. Swamp Roo

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    LOL yeah, I could see that being a problem. Sort of like a trufle pig getting a taste for trufles.

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I feed the egg shells back. They love them!

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have also read where people bake the eggshells to make sure there is not any egg taste left in them. That's what I will do when the time comes. You don't want to start an egg eating problem!

8. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I feed back the egg shell and provide plenty of oyster shell too. I never have a problem with egg eaters. Sometimes an egg breaks and I find bits of shell in the nestbox, but they don't seem to really be going out of their way. We don't bake the egg shell, just let it dry and crush it. I like pulverizing it as a stress reliever in the kitchen [​IMG]

9. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Quote:That's what I do.. bake then crush up w/ my hand.. no need in spending money, feed it back to them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by