Egg shell, traces of blood, wet

jfitz128

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
I have one chicken, can't tell which one, whose egg shell is often blood smeared and or sticky, damp.
Are they okay to use if washed thoroughly?
Can anyone help explain cause, remedy?
thank you,
Just joined today...first post!
thank you for doing this!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Try going around and looking at chicken bums. Sometimes you can spot the chicken having a problem. Our Hermione laid two quite bloody eggs last spring, and I could see a correspondingly bloody area just inside her vent. We're not really sure what caused it, but we encouraged her to go broody so she would get a break from laying and heal up. After she started laying again, she was fine. Our vet did recommend that we euthanize her if she continued to bleed significantly with laying, because that would mean she was tearing internally.

If it's just a streak or two of blood, that's fairly common, though, especially with young hens as they're starting out laying. And as far as the stickiness or wetness, is it possible that you happened upon a freshly laid egg? Every egg is moist with bloom right after it is laid. As the egg cools it dries.

Post a picture of one of the bloody eggs so we can tell what you're looking at.

One of our chickens just started laying and her first egg had blood smears on it. Nothing bad and supposedly quite normal so long as it's not in excess.

If you find a damp/sticky one then you know it's fresh! They're like that right after they are laid.

You don't have to wash the eggs to use them as you would any store bought egg. Just wash your hands after handling them (and the chickens, for that matter) and before touching any food/food surface.

Welcome aboard!
big_smile.png

My 1 silkie pullet just laid its first egg the other day and it had blood smeers on it to so did the 2nd egg she laid yesterday but wasent as bad the 3rd egg will probley have little to noo blood its probley nothing to worry about

Geeze what incredible service this is. My first post, unbelievable!
I will learn to give more information with my posts, too.

My hens are mature, so this hen is not laying her first eggs.
The stickiness, wetness is well beyond the wetness of a freshly laid egg.
The straw from the nest really sticks to the eggs, hard to get off.

I will take the suggestion and check their bums more carefully.

If you have any other thoughts pass them along.

You are very thoughtful! Thanks.

I love this forum. Our last chicken to lay an egg layed her first egg this morning with blood on it. Its a HUGE egg for a little hen and i was worried. And here is a post to tell me to be calm. She is looking smug and running around, so I imagine shes ok, hopefully the next few eggs will be tiney, lol.

I see this thread is a little old, but I have the same thing as jfitz128. My black copper maran is about a year old and has been laying for a few months. EVERY egg is coated in shavings from the nesting box - all stuck to the shell. Never happens for any of the other three hens, just this one. Occasional blood spots inside but not outside. Anyone know the cause?

I see this thread is a little old, but I have the same thing as jfitz128. My black copper maran is about a year old and has been laying for a few months. EVERY egg is coated in shavings from the nesting box - all stuck to the shell. Never happens for any of the other three hens, just this one. Occasional blood spots inside but not outside. Anyone know the cause?

One of my BC Marans has the same sticky egg shells. The eggs whites are very thin, almost watery and the yolks have meat spots.

Back
Top Bottom