1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg shell uses????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momto2, Jan 14, 2009.

1. momto2

momto2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    My egg layers are out of control, so I'm boiling 8+ dozens of eggs to feed back to them. Does anyone have any suggestions on uses for the shells besides compost??

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Feed the shells back to the birds, it will help to replace what they use to make the eggs..................thats what we do.........

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Crunch them up and feeding them back to your hens as well. They will appreciate the extra calcium!

4. momto2

momto2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I didn't know that they'd eat the shells too!! Thanks!!

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:It's a good way to save $$. Keeps you from having to buy oyster shell for them [​IMG]

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

[​IMG] I bake a lot of goodies for my flock, and I actually crush up whole eggs and put them in the mixture. They love the egg shells...just be sure you crush them up pretty small so they don't get any ideas about the eggs layed in the coop! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  7. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i've seen some lovely decorations like wreaths made with blown out egg shells. I even saw a lamp the other day that was gorgeous! - it was an small old egg box with a straw looking fiber and eggs laying on top with the lamp running up through it.
    i'm going to blow some out and save the shells until i get a chance to make something out of them.

8. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Mine are 11 weeks old, ┬┐is it to early to give them egg shells?

Mike D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I put all my egg shell in a bowl and microwave about 30 seconts to dry them so I can crush finr and spread in run.
    <My girls love them !!!!!!

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I am assuming by out of control, you mean they are laying a surplus of eggs..????????

can't you sell them?

feed the shells back to the chickens also.. You do not have to peel them. after they are boiled just crush them enough to break the shells and let them have at it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by