egg shelling

ewaugaman

Songster
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
Good morning to my friends out there. Here is a question I need answered. I get 7 eggs a day I have 7 chickens in the chicken coop, my question is I am having a terrible time pealing fresh eggs, if there is anyone out there that can tell me how I can peel the egg I sure would appreciate it. I boil the eggs for about 15 minutes then I put them under cold water let them sit until the egg itself is cooled down. I crack the egg all the way around the egg and run it under the water while I am peeling it but I usually end up with just the yoke, well at lease part of the egg will peel, but I wast most of the egg, could someone tell me what I am doing or not doing while I am peeling the egg.

Thank you so muck ewaugaman

Good morning to my friends out there. Here is a question I need answered. I get 7 eggs a day I have 7 chickens in the chicken coop, my question is I am having a terrible time pealing fresh eggs, if there is anyone out there that can tell me how I can peel the egg I sure would appreciate it. I boil the eggs for about 15 minutes then I put them under cold water let them sit until the egg itself is cooled down. I crack the egg all the way around the egg and run it under the water while I am peeling it but I usually end up with just the yoke, well at lease part of the egg will peel, but I wast most of the egg, could someone tell me what I am doing or not doing while I am peeling the egg.

Thank you so muck ewaugaman
I heard that if you steam them for 2p minutes then put them in an ice bath the shells come off nicely.

I boil my eggs with about a tbsp of salt in the water. (I've heard that vinegar works also). Then, cool them, run under water while rolling them to crack the shells. I use a teaspoon to shuck them out of the shell. Usually, I can shell an egg without too much ripping of the albumen this way.

I have your answer, Start the water boiling, then add cold or room temp eggs to the boiling water, turn it down to a low boil immediately and set your timer for 9 minutes. Take the eggs out of the boiling water when the timer goes off, dunk them immediately in ice water and as soon as they are cool enough to handle, lightly tap them all over so the whole egg has cracks all around & peel it. 95% of the time, mine are SOeasy to peel perfectly. good luck!

Older eggs peel easily. Why not keep eggs in cartons for a week or so and they will peel easily. There are other trick s to use, takes extra time, but I find that just keeping them a bit is easiest. Store eggs usually are a week or more old and will peel easily after hard boiling. And our own eggs, not washed, will be "fresh to use" for a month or more. They naturally come in the best packaging possible and are keepers!

I've tried many different ways to peel fresh hard boiled eggs and haven't found a single one that has worked, but a method that was posted here the other day was to steam the eggs for 20-22 minutes. I haven't tried that so maybe it works. The only reliable way I know of to have hard boiled eggs to peel easily is to wait to boil them until they're a week or two (two is better, IMHO) old.
As an aside, you really don't need to boil the eggs for 15 minutes. Put them in the pan, cover with cold water, bring to a boil for 3 minutes, turn off the heat, and cover for 11-13 minutes. Dump the hot water, cover with cold water, and peel when cool enough to handle---5 minutes or so.

I have added baking soda to the water. After boiling them I put them in ice-cold water. It still isn't a perfect solution.

I have found that blue eggs (EE) peel the easiest, then the Sussex, and last Australorps.

I have had luck lately with steaming the eggs & I do mine for 15 minutes & then put them in an ice water bath. Did eggs that were less than a week old last week & they peeled beautifully. Have had slight luck with adding vinegar in the water. Steaming works better, though.

I use older eggs, 2 or 3 week older eggs to start.
I steam for about 15 minutes, then dump in ice water to cool and refrigerate.

When ready to eat, I place two in a plastic container half filled with water, seal and vigorously shake for about 30 seconds. The shells fall off…

Back
Top Bottom