1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Shells for Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by F106A, Nov 21, 2011.

1. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    I just got back home from a visit to my folks, and brought them some of my egg bounty. One morning Dad made breakfast with some of the eggs, and I saw him put the shells in a bag he has off to the side of his sink. "Huh?", I thought!

Anyway, later I asked my mom what the egg shells were for. She told me Dad uses them as fertilizer for his potted plants he has scattered on his front and back porches.

I have never heard of doing that. We certainly didn't do it when I was growing up, and we had plenty of plants. We did compost though, and egg shells just went in that. He's crushing the shells on their own to use without composting.

Has anyone ever heard of that? I'm just curious.

Mark

2. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer
    Eggshells are good for calcium of course but I also use them to prevent dampening off of seedlings. I forget exactly why it is suppose to work, but it seems to help.

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    yeap they work great. been doing it for years until. now the chickens eat them all.

4. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    My grandma swears by them and coffee grounds.

5. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Last year I was having troubles with a lot of my vegetables in my garden more so in the tomato’s. The garden center told me it was most likely a calcium deficiency. This year i added egg shells to the garden around the base of the plants and have never had better tomato’s.

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Mom (in PA) and I use them all of the time. They help prevent blossom end rot in tomatoes and also have a lot of trace nutrients. I actually saw a site somewhere that suggested people eat them.

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    We've been using them for awhile and so far it's really helped the soil quality.

9. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    http://www.ncagr.gov/cyber/kidswrld/plant/nutrient.htm
    Good
    information from this site.
    The calcium helps tomatoes, peppers and eggplant avoid blossom end rot. The jagged shells also deter slugs and cutworms.

I split my shells between the chickens, compost pile and directly around the plants.

10. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:That was the problem i was having with blossom end rot and as soon as i added egg shels problem solved but the most common cause of end rot is inconxistant watering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by