Egg shells with patches of what looks like tiny seeds that flake off

FreeRangeEgg

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
We recently started getting eggs from one of our gals that have patches of tiny seed-like specks which can be scratched off. I've had bumpy eggs before, generally near the point, but not patches like this that aren't directly part of the shell. We also received one fart egg a couple of weeks ago with the same specks, but no fart eggs since. Has anyone ever encountered this? Is it extra calcium? A parasite? Is it dangerous? I have some poor pictures for now, and will try to take better ones tomorrow.
Thanks!
John
4422141070_12f168871d_o.jpg

4421375373_1281162a7a_o.jpg

4422141020_f234e6def3_o.jpg

Hi, new to this site but found it by trying to figure out what was wrong with the egg we had today-with little bumps just like in your first pic!
Had all the same concerns...calcium deposits etc etc, first one we've had like this. Checked out the link suggested for 'pimples' and 'sandpaper' but they don't look anything like the clusters on my egg.
If it is some kind of calcium deposit how should I remedy it? At the moment our 3 girls get layers mash mixed with various kitchen scraps in the morning, and a handful of corn which seems to have peas, shell and other stuff mixed in. Thay are in a biggish run-approx 4x2m, some of which is on gravel and some on an ex-flowerbed, but don't have access to the lawn anymore, should i be giving them some kind of supplement?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Naomi
ps what's a fart egg?!

I've had that occasionally and it just disappears as quickly as it appears. Sometimes they will be solid bumps on the shell and sometimes swirls or roses too. I always have oyster shells available for the hens but they don't gobble it all up to make me concerned that they are overloading on calcium. I'm thinking the pullet is just depositing the last bits of calcium as the egg is going down the tract I keep thinking of an assembly line...lol, especially for the dark eggs that get spray painted at the end just before being laid.....
A fart egg is a tiny egg from the beginning or end of a hens laying cycle and it has no yolk.

Just collected eggs and got one unlike any other that my Buff Orpington has laid. Hers usually have little white-ish flecks on them but never bumpy like this:

26444_img_6177.jpg

Very happy to hear that they won't always look like this as I think some people would be reluctant to use the egg.

Yeah, one of our Buffs has been laying these "bumpy" eggs. The bumps often correspond with a "spot" on the inside of the egg. They are still good eating, though. I am curious as to what's up with them?

We also just got an egg just like the one in 1st photo of this thread. very curious to find what it may be,,,, I thought perhaps it was some sort of bug eggs. Also just lost one of our ladies last night to ... unknown? :( (posted on another thread.) Mrs. Mojoe

Back
Top Bottom