egg shells

Yes, once their umbilical cord has detatched from it. As long as the yolk is fully absorbed, you can gently grip the cord and tear it to separate. But I generally leave them alone for an hour or so to let it detach naturally, and only tear it if they are dragging the shell around behind them.

You can grab them out when you take out some chicks. I have two little baskets by my incubators.
One for shells and one for chicks. So I can very quickly take what I need out of the incubator without messing up humidity and temperature.

You can grab them out when you take out some chicks. I have two little baskets by my incubators.
One for shells and one for chicks. So I can very quickly take what I need out of the incubator without messing up humidity and temperature.
thank you! when should i take them out? theres just two right now

thank you! when should i take chicks out- there are two out right now
Are they dried off? If they are tossing around the other eggs, you can take them out or you can leave them in for a while.
I normally don't like my chicks to be in the incubator for longer than 10 hours.
I don't want them to poop in my incubator or toss around the other eggs.
The chicks are always happier in the brooder.

thank you! when should i take them out? theres just two right now
Right after hatch, they're usually tired and sleepy - and will nap in little fits, kicking and rolling around between naps. I take them out as soon as they are dried off (down might still be stiff and not fluffy, but dry), have had a good nap or two, and are up and moving around more or less on their feet. Usually about 2-3 hours after hatch. Or if they hatch overnight, they stay until morning.

Right after hatch, they're usually tired and sleepy - and will nap in little fits, kicking and rolling around between naps. I take them out as soon as they are dried off (down might still be stiff and not fluffy, but dry), have had a good nap or two, and are up and moving around more or less on their feet. Usually about 2-3 hours after hatch. Or if they hatch overnight, they stay until morning.
great--thank you -when should i start dipping their beaks (this is first day) I have 9 so far moved to brooder-they all looking good but was wondering when to teach them about water and when to put food in there?

great--thank you -when should i start dipping their beaks (this is first day) I have 9 so far moved to brooder-they all looking good but was wondering when to teach them about water and when to put food in there?
Food and water NOW. They may not eat or drink any, but you want it ready and room temperature when they're ready.

As soon as chicks are up on their feet, steady and able to walk and run around, then dip beaks in the water. Just random chicks, several times a day for today and tomorrow. When a few get the idea, they'll teach the others to drink. By tomorrow or the next day, they should all be drinking well.

Sprinkle their chick starter on the floor of the brooder, over paper towels or what-not. Tap your finger into the food and chirp or talk to them. They'll come running to see what you have (this is so cool!). After a day or so of this, they'll eat on their own - or may start right away. Watch the feeder - when you see they've been eating from it as well, then you can remove the paper towel.

Food and water NOW. They may not eat or drink any, but you want it ready and room temperature when they're ready.

As soon as chicks are up on their feet, steady and able to walk and run around, then dip beaks in the water. Just random chicks, several times a day for today and tomorrow. When a few get the idea, they'll teach the others to drink. By tomorrow or the next day, they should all be drinking well.

Sprinkle their chick starter on the floor of the brooder, over paper towels or what-not. Tap your finger into the food and chirp or talk to them. They'll come running to see what you have (this is so cool!). After a day or so of this, they'll eat on their own - or may start right away. Watch the feeder - when you see they've been eating from it as well, then you can remove the paper towel.
thank you! will dip in the water-- very good advice. they came a day early and i am sick w cold so we didnt have grain at home😟ok to start tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom