Egg Shells

hawaiian

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
I have Rhode Island Reds that are laying some nice brown eggs. However, when I hard boil the eggs I have a very hard time peeling off the skin without taking off all the egg white. I assume I am feeding/not feeding them something that is causing this. Any ideas what it could be? We feed them layer feed and sometimes kitchen scraps. They almost always have food available to them in the coop.

Hi hawaiian,

it's normal for fresh eggs. They always have a soft layer of white that doesn't boil hard and that comes off with the shell. (I remember I thought there was something wrong with my eggs too... but it's just that they're fresh!).
smile.png

You can either leave eggs for 3 + days (after that they boil better) or you can boil them for 10 minutes instead of 5.

cheers
Erica

It also helps if you immediately cool your eggs in very cold water.. But Erica is right. Fresh eggs do not peel well. The eggs you buy in the store are several days old. You are doing just fine.
wink.png

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
More likely weeks. It's shocking how old store eggs can be, but good to know that eggs keep looooong time!
big_smile.png

Yes, it's just because your eggs are so fresh. I don't refrigerate mine, they sit on the counter a week or more, then they are easier to peel. 19 years and no fatalities yet!

welcome-byc.gif

I started boiling my room temperature fresh eggs by boiling the water before adding the eggs. I read it on BYC somewhere. I boil them for 17 minutes (i know that sounds like a long time) and then chill them immediately. I still have a couple that will stick some, but mostly they peel very easily with this method. I haven't tried using all the salt, yet.

Back
Top Bottom