Egg Shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hawaiian, Mar 11, 2011.

1. hawaiian

hawaiian Hatching

Dec 4, 2010
    I have Rhode Island Reds that are laying some nice brown eggs. However, when I hard boil the eggs I have a very hard time peeling off the skin without taking off all the egg white. I assume I am feeding/not feeding them something that is causing this. Any ideas what it could be? We feed them layer feed and sometimes kitchen scraps. They almost always have food available to them in the coop.

2. Erica

Erica Songster

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi hawaiian,

it's normal for fresh eggs. They always have a soft layer of white that doesn't boil hard and that comes off with the shell. (I remember I thought there was something wrong with my eggs too... but it's just that they're fresh!). [​IMG]

You can either leave eggs for 3 + days (after that they boil better) or you can boil them for 10 minutes instead of 5.

cheers
    Erica

3. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    It also helps if you immediately cool your eggs in very cold water.. But Erica is right. Fresh eggs do not peel well. The eggs you buy in the store are several days old. You are doing just fine.[​IMG]

And [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. hawaiian

hawaiian Hatching

Dec 4, 2010
    Good to know. Thanks so much for the replies!!!

5. that is one way of telling if a egg is fresh

6. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Songster

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    That happens all the time when I boil my RSLs' eggs! Drives me nuts lol. But yes, cooling them works or waiting a couple of days after the lay helps too. [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:More likely weeks. It's shocking how old store eggs can be, but good to know that eggs keep looooong time! [​IMG]

Yes, it's just because your eggs are so fresh. I don't refrigerate mine, they sit on the counter a week or more, then they are easier to peel. 19 years and no fatalities yet!

[​IMG]

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Songster

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Adding 1/2 cup of salt to the water helps the shells peel too. And yes, that's a lot of salt!

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I started boiling my room temperature fresh eggs by boiling the water before adding the eggs. I read it on BYC somewhere. I boil them for 17 minutes (i know that sounds like a long time) and then chill them immediately. I still have a couple that will stick some, but mostly they peel very easily with this method. I haven't tried using all the salt, yet.

10. mystus808

mystus808 Songster

Jan 15, 2011
    hey hawaiian wat island u from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: