Egg shipping practices - question

I love bubblewrap! Ive had success with it shipping eggs bubblewrapped and recieving them bubblewrapped. If a seller doesnt use bubblewrap, I wont purchase eggs from them. I think its the best way to ship eggs.

Hi! I feel the same way. Lovelovelove bubblewrap!

...Maybe they just don't put enough bubble around them or something but I haven't been impressed so far. Most of the damage is from egg to egg contact. A couple of thin layers of bubble between the eggs just don't cut it...

Yes, that too. I've gotten eggs wrapped with what I'd call a 'scrap' of bubblewrap and it wasn't enough to protect them during shipping.

Hahaha, for what it's worth, I found an egg this morning that was laid 5/12 and burrito-bubblewapped a day or so later. I remembered it as soon as I found it... I had a group of eggs bubblewrapped and ready to pack and my cat knocked one behind the table. I was going to pick it up 'later' (today was the first time I've cleaned behind the table since and no commenting on that).
ANYWAY, I just candled it and even though it's OVER a month old --- the air cell looks like about a 7-day-old egg. I'll set it tonight just to see what it does.
smile.png

Lisa​

People have been using bubble wrap successfully for many years. The eggs should be room temperature before wrapping them to avoid condensation. The USPS machinery is likely the culprit for damage aircells and low hatch rates.

Broken eggs are the responsibility of the packer. If packed correctly there shouldn't be any breakage.

I've received lots of eggs bubble wrapped and have often wondered about the breathability also... I think that most of the time there is a little gap somewhere and it must be enough as I've had some great hatch rates on bubble wrapped eggs. The best packaging I've seen with bantam eggs is each egg wrapped in bubble wrap individually and then placed in an extra large egg carton. The carton is then placed on wadded up newspaper and more wadded up paper around and on top of the carton. I don't think I've ever gotten a broken egg when packaged this way. The only thing I don't like about the bubble wrap is it seems that most people insist on using clear packing or scotch tape on the bubble wrap and I can never find the end to open.

I have been using natural fibers for packing such as shredded paper or that dustfree biodegradable cottony paper stuff that you can get for hamster/bunny bedding.

I have had only 2 instances where there were damaged eggs and those wouldnt have made a difference if I had used 40 feet of bubble wrap...the boxes were smashed.

My reports on hatchability were much higher than the results I got here from hatching eggs sent to me in bubble wrap.

JMHO
smile.png

I think you folks have reaffirmed my faith in bubble wrap. I always thought it was the safest way to get the eggs from point A to point B, but I wanted some reassurances that they were still viable when they arrived. As for eggs getting broken in the mail in bubble wrap, either they were HORRIBLY mistreated by the USPS or they weren't wrapped well. In two years of shipping in bubble wrap I've had one report of one cracked egg. Unfortunately, people don't usually come back and tell me what kind of hatch rate they got. I spoke to a friend that has been doing this much longer than I have and she said her best hatch rates always came from the eggs she received that were wrapped in bubble wrap. Thanks everybody!

Back
Top Bottom