Egg Size & Chicken Size

Chicklette 1

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Kentucky
I have just started getting eggs and I'm very excited. I get 1 good size brown egg and 1small lighter colored egg every day. I have some banties so I thought the small eggs were from a banty who is old enough to lay. I also have 4 standard size hens all of laying age and their combs are nice and red. Well, today I was out there for about 3 hours with them and I caught my New Hampshire X Barred Rock HUGE hen in the nest box laying an egg and guess what...........it was one of the small, lighter colored eggs. I can't believe a hen that size could be laying such small (but perfect) eggs. Can anyone enlighten me? This is the first time I've had chickens and just have had eggs for about 2 weeks now. I had 1 very, very, large brown egg earlier on and I thought the larger ones were from her.

When pullets begin to lay, the eggs are small but will get progressively larger. One of my BO pullets does not know that...she laid her 3rd egg today and it was a 2oz egg which is considered 'large' by USDA.

Good luck!
frow.gif

Chicklette our girls have been laying for a couple of months now and we are still getting eggs all over the size scale. A few of them have been bigger than X-large and some are very small. I understand that after the first molt they settle down and lay fairly consistant size eggs.

Larry

I watched one of my Golden Laced Wyandotte pullets, who's one of the largest pullets, lay a small, light brown egg. Meanwhile, the smaller Red Stars, have laid nice "big" pullet eggs from the very star, not as big as the RIR hen's egg, but the biggest eggs of all the pullets. The Red Stars have almost consistently laid "normal" shaped eggs, while the the EEs and GLW/SLWs have laid small, narrow eggs. I'm learning, too, and I guess this is what they mean by "pullet eggs".

Back
Top Bottom