1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg size from pullet to "final"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WA23, Dec 20, 2008.

1. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    How long does it take for a chicken to get to the largest size egg they are going to lay?

2. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I hope you get an anwer to your question, as I was wondering the same thing.

I do know that my Leghorns started laying at the beginning of September and I feel those eggs aren't full size yet. Many weigh in at 1.8 ounces and that isn't even "large". I thought they are supposed to lay large and extra large eggs. Genie

3. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Quote:Yes, my leghorn started laying a week ago and the eggs are only 1.5 ounces though the trend has been they are getting larger.

I also have one chicken that has been laying for a month and a half with average of a medium. I was expecting at least a large from her.

4. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    My oldest is 3 years old and her eggs are bigger than last year.

5. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Quote:So this process will take at least a year? Three?

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My black australorps went from a small egg to a large egg in just over one month.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our BSL has been laying about 3 weeks. Her eggs started at 45 grams and are up to 48-50 now. My neighbors have a variety of layers that are a couple months older than mine, and their largest brown eggs are 58g. They've got a BSL, RIR, 2 EE & I can't remember the 5th one.

I only know the size of their eggs b/c I bartered for some eggs to make deviled eggs for Christmas eve - our girls aren't all laying yet and I do not want to buy any!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by