We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Egg size - WTF

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HAPPLE, Aug 14, 2019.

1. HAPPLE

HAPPLE In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2019
    I have a mixed flock of 8 girls. My ISA just went through a month + broody cycle and I thought I was going to lose her. Finally took bringing her into the house and A/C for 4 days to finally break it. Needless to say I have been very attentive to my girls since. There is only one of my girls that I don't know her breed & this is the one I am concerned with now. The last egg I got from her was on 8/4 & I have been catching her "sitting" more often than not. This is the egg I got today. Should I be concerned?

Attached Files:

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. so lucky

so lucky Crowing

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Do you mean the large one was layed today or the small one?

HAPPLE likes this.
  3. sealer39

sealer39 Songster

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Which egg are you concerned about?

Edit: I bet it’s the big one. Don’t worry about it. You just got a big ole double yolker! Make some scrambled eggs and enjoy! :drool

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    She looks like a brown leghorn. Either of those eggs aren’t necessarily something to be concerned about. If it’s the large one, she just had a double yolker or bigger than average egg. If it’s the small one, that happens too.

Sometimes birds systems just take a break and then they can spit out a weird egg because it’s getting back into gear. She might have not been laying for multiple reasons such as heat, molting, broodiness, etc.

aart and FowlWitch like this.
  5. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Crazy Gallus Gallus Domesticus Lady

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    HELP-FARMER-CONNIES-ROOSTER.gif

FowlWitch and so lucky like this.
  6. HAPPLE

HAPPLE In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2019
    The smaller of the 2 was the issue I'm afraid to crack it open it doesn't smell like it's bad. I'm assuming it's a poof or fart egg as they call them maybe it just doesn't have a yoke The normal egg weighs 1.8 oz the smaller egg weighs .6 oz so it's considerably smaller.

7. HAPPLE

HAPPLE In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2019
    Sorry I wasn't clear on that point.

8. HAPPLE

HAPPLE In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2019
    I've had the chickens for just over a year and a 1/2 although I've lost a couple my first ones in the beginning to predators, some of these girls are a little newer. I haven't had any issues with the exception of that stint of long term broodiness with my Isa I've done as much research as I can hopefully when we start our Homestead and I have roosters and have fertilized eggs I won't have to worry quite so much about this broodiness issue. Of course with my luck they probably won't go broody at that point.

9. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

HAPPLE likes this.
  10. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Crazy Gallus Gallus Domesticus Lady

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    wave and wag.gif Hey Whites! Long time know C! I hope you're fairing well. tea bag (1).gif

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: