Egg Size

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chad, Feb 14, 2008.

1. chad

chad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2007
    Pittston, Maine
    So my little Fancy hens (their dad was our late, lamented rooster "Fancy") started laying eggs last month. They're still on the small side. (My wife, who's doing Weight Watchers, calls them "1 point" eggs.) The last layers I raised from chicks were Brahmas and it doesn't seem that we waited so long to get a biggish (sometimes really big!) egg out of them.

This is Fancy:
    [​IMG]

Mom is a Golden Comet.

Can I expect these young girls will start putting out decent-sized eggs eventually?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    When my girls first started laying the eggs where smaller then robins eggs. Now they are decent sized. I t will take a little time for them to be decent

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I believe they usually take roughly a couple of months to get to their full size eggs. I don't remember for sure though.

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I am supposed to get Large eggs from my hens who have been laying now for a month. However, I usually get med. eggs. Once in a while I do get an egg that is huge. My last one was the full size of my palm. I swore it hurt her!
    I was wondering myself, if I'll get consitancy or is it normal for us to get varied sizes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by