Egg Size

SKILLET

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Well my girls started laying a few weeks ago...

I have 10 Barred Rocks and 2 Rhode Island Reds full size hens, the first egg we got seemed to be about the normal size of a large egg except it was a little skinny... Ever since that the eggs seem to be perfect in shape but just smaller... Is this normal? i wasnt sure if they hens lay smaller eggs at first then gratuate to bigger eggs... sounds funny but just a thought...

They are fed Dumor feed from Tractor supply... i followed the protein scale on the back of the bag... i believe now they are eating 15%

Any ideas of why the eggs seem small?

I will post some pics as soon as i can

My RIR that started laying a couple weeks ago is averaging at eggs that are 50 grams, about the size of a medium egg according to the USDA guidlines by weight/dozen.

(edit - these are oz/dozen)
Jumbo .............................30
Extra large ......................27
Large ..............................24
Medium ..........................21
Small ..............................18
Peewee ...........................15

page 11 has the weights
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004376

Last edited:
Ours have been laying for two months and the eggs have been getting progressively larger near normal size now it just takes awhile.
barnie.gif

I have one BO that just began to lay a couple of weeks ago...she laid and then stopped, started laying again the last few days...each egg has been larger and today laid a 2.1 oz egg which outweighed another BO's that has been laying for weeks...go figure! I'm so glad since two of my sex links did not bother to lay and one of them has actually started laying smaller eggs...1.6 oz.

Back
Top Bottom