Egg sizes over time

drinkoj

Chicken Chaser
May 24, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
Yesterday I was in a discussion on a thread about eggs sizes and how long it takes them to get bigger. @Ridgerunner suggested that I might want to create a thread about how the eggs grew in size over time. So, pictures on a little measuring board with dates it is.

Backstory on the pullets laying the eggs. Have 6 pullets at 20.5 weeks of age, on Oct 12 the first egg was laid/found, it was small, and eaten by me, so no pictures of it.
Oct 13 we got 3 eggs (assuming we went to 3 pullets laying) and then on Oct 14 we got 4 eggs (assuming 4 hens laying). By looking at the eggs and writing in pencil the dates, you can see the progression of the egg sizes. Picture forthcoming.

Last edited:
B86DB066-4171-471C-A9B0-454FB759A17A.jpeg
In this first picture I have laid them out in order of size and with the assumption that since there is a change in size each day that we can assume the largest egg each day will be that of the first pullet to lay on 10/13, the two eggs that are of similar size would be that of the 2 pullets that began laying on 10/13, and the pullet that first laid on 10/14 is the smallest.
22A78A6A-4AE5-4760-92D8-F053B4FB4391.jpeg
These three eggs were laid on 10/13. Notice the bottom egg is almost a full bar bigger (it is not the camera angle btw)
68E113C9-B8A4-48B9-A7A4-6F6F92D775A5.jpeg
This is the largest egg believed to be the first of our pullets to lay and was laid on 10/14. Compare the above largest egg to this egg, it has increased in size by almost 3 bars. It is the size of a store bought medium egg.
766454E9-EBB7-4640-B6F4-940FE44ADA96.jpeg
These two eggs are from the two pullets that began laying on 10/13 and these are their eggs from 10/14
F1A56C61-57DD-42C8-82CB-D5C03F1E6539.jpeg

This egg is the smallest and is believed to be from the fourth pullet that began laying on 10/14.

Last edited:
This is great! Mine started laying October 2 and, so far, I haven't seen any noticeable increase in size. The breed I have, Golden Comets, is supposedly known for having rather large eggs. I expect they will get larger, just maybe not quite as quickly as yours.

I love the scientific approach of tracking the egg sizes. I've been tracking laying times and which hens use which nest boxes. 🤓

I've been tracking laying times and which hens use which nest boxes. 🤓
Interestingly enough, my wife was informing me of what time she believes they are laying and that three of the pullets are laying the egg within a millimeter of the other eggs and not covering them (both yesterday and today) and that one pullet is laying sometime in the late afternoon or early evening, as I find that one when I come home.

IMG_2248.JPG

So today, someone took a day off. I suspect it was pullet A (first to lay) as the size of the eggs are not close to the biggest and are very similar to the others I got.
I am going to have to figure out a better way to take pictures as the camera angle is causing me to show poor egg sizes. Guess I'm going to plunk down down a few $$ on a micrometer at Harbor Freight.

Back
Top Bottom