1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Slow down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Canarygirl, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Canarygirl

Canarygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    Just wondering if anyone knew when the chickens will start laying again. They have slowed down to almost a hault and someone told me they do that in the winter. I have 9 buff orppintons and use to get almost a half of dozen a day and now I get maybe 1 or 2. Thanks for your reply [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    How old are your hens?...My buffs take a time out since they are over 4 years old.....most lay really well til they are over 2 years old and then quit for awhile....Also depends on cold winters and lighting in your coop if no lighting they will slow down....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Since the weather is getting warmer, here in NJ, I am getting all my girls to lay, but when it gets cold again I expect for it to slow down.

It is just the weather, they need 12-14 hours daylight, now that the daylight is more they will come around. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by