Egg smell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 4, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had asked before about dirty eggs, but it's been a few days and I smelled my last 3 eggs (9 hatched). I got them 2 1/2 weeks ago and wasn't sure of the age of them. One just pipped and one of the others was one that looked much smaller so I figured it was laid just before I got it. The one in question is poopy, and I noticed upon closer inspection it was slightly cracked, looks like another egg hit it, probably when they were collected (they put them in gallon zipper bags). The dirty one doens't smell real obnoxious but has a slight odor like a hard boiled egg. If it were bad would it smell a lot worse? Should I still leave it until the smaller one hatches?
    Thanks
    Krista

2. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Hi,
    "If it were bad would it smell a lot worse? "
    If it were 'good' it wouldn't smell at all.
    I would remove it. But some might not...I wouldn't want it exploding all over the good eggs.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks for the response, I pulled the egg. I tore my house apart and found a good flashlight (6 kids, the lights always disappear) and candled it. I just think maybe it was unfertilized and not "bad" which is maybe why it didn't really smell awful, but I'm a newbie so I have no idea. The light shines through to the other side so I pulled it. Thanks for your help. Maybe it smelled like a boiled egg because it was slow cooking ?[​IMG]
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by