Egg soft spot

Cunsell51

Hatching
Apr 20, 2022
I have a hen who lays fairly large eggs and each egg has a soft spot. The rest of the shell is hard. The eggs of my other two girls are hard shelled. They eat egg laying pellets, some free ranging, occasional scratch mix, and oyster shell. Anyone have suggestions?

How old is she? As they age, the egg laying machinery can go a bit awry (obviously her shell duct).

You might try feeding her crushed calcium to see if it helps. She may simply need a bit more than she is eating in her diet.

My thoughts
LofMc

How old is she? As they age, the egg laying machinery can go a bit awry (obviously her shell duct).

You might try feeding her crushed calcium to see if it helps. She may simply need a bit more than she is eating in her diet.

My thoughts
LofMc
Thank you!! I'm not sure how old she is as she was given to me by a friend who moved; however, I think she is an older hen. I will try more calcium

@Lady of McCamley I have one hen that is having this same problem. How much calcium and how often should it be given?

Normally I just have free feed oyster shell or calcite grit and let the hen handle it. She *should* eat what she needs.

I have read others on forum have actually fed a crushed Tums to a hen. I don't know the actual dosage, but if it were my hen, I start with 1 crushed Tum fed daily.

A laying hen needs approximately 4 to 5 grams of calcium per day (which is 4,000 to 5,000 mg).

According to the internet, 1 Tum tablet has 200 to 400 mg of calcium, so feeding a Tum a day would not do any harm and definitely not overdose her in calcium. You could increase from there until you see improvement.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom