Egg Song but no Egg ????

ParlorCityChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
We just heard our pullet Henny Penny singing the egg song for the first time REALLY LOUD, but there is no egg to be found. Is this behavior something that pullets "practice"? She has also been squatting a lot and trying to push. She is 19 weeks old. We ran out there with our camera and everything!
tongue.png
Soon, soon, I hope!

Thanks, I don't think an egg is stuck, she sang again this morning and then sat in the nest box for a while, but nothing came out. She doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. Chicken Labor!

Our hen did the same thing singing the egg song and in and out of the nesting box on Aug.8th and 9th and on the 10th at 11:00am she finally layed an egg!!! Then on the 11th she layed at approx. 2:30 p.m. The question I have is how long does it take them to lay at a certain time? It's kinda hard to plan breakfast when you only have 3 eggs and waiting on the 4th and I really had to pray that she didn't take that day off but she came through for us and it was an awesome breakfast:thumbsup

Egg production takes about 26 hours. Therefore, if a pullet/hen is one of those "every day layers" the next egg will be about 2 hours later in the day than the first one had been. And the next one will be two more hours later in the day.

Most eggs are laid between 9 am and 4 pm; if the recurring cycle of egg production gets one headed out "too late" in the day, the hen/pullet will wait until the next morning.

And there's a LOT of practice ahead of time, by new layers. Nest checking, hay/shavings to be tossed around, practice the Egg Song, skootch down into the pine shavings in the nest box to see if it's the absolute best place to lay an egg, all that preparation.

Thanks everyone for your comments, she is definitely practicing a lot! She has chosen a favorite nest box and has been in and out of it, "redecorating" the bedding and so on. She wants to be a big girl! We are so excited!

ParlorCityChickens
I have absolutely nothing to add in the way of advice (I'm very new to this), but wanted to let you know I am right there with you! Yesterday and today, one of our chickens did the egg song, but no egg. We are all waiting and watching over here too. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom