Egg song but no egg?

Nonny

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
One of my girls (Tuppence) seems close to laying her first egg this week, and yesterday she was on the roof of the coop doing the "cackleberry call" as if to announce an egg, only when I checked there was none. It's the first time she's made this noise at all and when my other girl Florin first made this noise her first egg was there waiting for us.

What's the deal?

I've hunted high and low in case she laid it elsewhere, but she was in the small coop at the time (was first thing in the morning so she had no chance to lay one elsewhere) and there's not really room to hide an egg.

This morning we still only had the one egg from Florin, and no extras.

Last edited:
I have some that do that sometimes, they will sing the egg song and no egg. Sometimes when another bird is in the nest box another bird will be on the roosts singing away as if she was laying an egg. I call them the cheerleaders.
19.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
That's funny-- my roo does that too. AND, he will get excited and chatter up a storm in the garage to entice the girls in there to lay for some reason. Saturday they were all making a racket in the garage and no eggs from anyone or rather only one egg!! Not sure what that was about.

there's an egg song??? I'm stumped. But then again, I had no idea chickens had sex.
hu.gif
Thought the roo fertilized the eggs after they were laid. Like fish..... oy. City girls....
wink.png

Some of my girls have started laying..but I haven't heard the "song" yet - I don't think I've been within hearing distance when they've laid! I'm hoping it's so distinctive that I'll recognize it when I hear it!

Fertilize after the egg is laid.... you ARE a city girl! That's ok...you know now!!
ya.gif

My girls will sing their egg song sometimes before, and sometimes after an egg has been laid. They have occasionally sung their song and not delivered an egg too. I credit them for trying, though. Many times when one girl sings, the others will join in, so their chorus is sung several times a day!
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL... I thought the same thing. And yes, I'm a city girl who has moved to the country
big_smile.png
I was all brave one day and asked one of our farming neighbors how eggs were fertilized. She just looked at me with disbelief but than realized I wasn't joking. We both laughed
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom