Egg song but no egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nonny, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    One of my girls (Tuppence) seems close to laying her first egg this week, and yesterday she was on the roof of the coop doing the "cackleberry call" as if to announce an egg, only when I checked there was none. It's the first time she's made this noise at all and when my other girl Florin first made this noise her first egg was there waiting for us.

What's the deal?

I've hunted high and low in case she laid it elsewhere, but she was in the small coop at the time (was first thing in the morning so she had no chance to lay one elsewhere) and there's not really room to hide an egg.

This morning we still only had the one egg from Florin, and no extras.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have some that do that sometimes, they will sing the egg song and no egg. Sometimes when another bird is in the nest box another bird will be on the roosts singing away as if she was laying an egg. I call them the cheerleaders. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

[​IMG] I have cheerleaders, too! I have a roo that does the egg song! I think encouraging the ladies to get to work!

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Quote:That's funny-- my roo does that too. AND, he will get excited and chatter up a storm in the garage to entice the girls in there to lay for some reason. Saturday they were all making a racket in the garage and no eggs from anyone or rather only one egg!! Not sure what that was about.

5. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    Awww...I love that!!! Can't wait for my girls to start laying. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Quote:

7. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    there's an egg song??? I'm stumped. But then again, I had no idea chickens had sex. [​IMG] Thought the roo fertilized the eggs after they were laid. Like fish..... oy. City girls.... [​IMG]

8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Some of my girls have started laying..but I haven't heard the "song" yet - I don't think I've been within hearing distance when they've laid! I'm hoping it's so distinctive that I'll recognize it when I hear it!

Fertilize after the egg is laid.... you ARE a city girl! That's ok...you know now!! [​IMG]

9. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    My girls will sing their egg song sometimes before, and sometimes after an egg has been laid. They have occasionally sung their song and not delivered an egg too. I credit them for trying, though. Many times when one girl sings, the others will join in, so their chorus is sung several times a day! [​IMG]

10. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:LOL... I thought the same thing. And yes, I'm a city girl who has moved to the country [​IMG] I was all brave one day and asked one of our farming neighbors how eggs were fertilized. She just looked at me with disbelief but than realized I wasn't joking. We both laughed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by