Egg song but no egg

Iluvchickens23

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
I'm stumped. I have four young hens and my RIR has just recently (3 days ago) started laying eggs. This morning I found two eggs in the coop. One I assume came from my RIR and I think the other came from my Brahma. When I tried to let them out to free range my RIR she insisted on staying in the coop. I thought maybe one of my other girls started laying. Sometime later she came out, sang her egg song and left. I checked the coop but no egg. Im confused. Did she lay an egg earlier and is just confused herself or is it possible that she saw other eggs in her nest so she tried to lay and couldn't, but sang anyways?? Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Welcome to BYC!!

Sometimes hens sing their egg song for fun and never lay an egg. I have hens who do that all the time. Give her time and she will start laying soon.

She has been laying for a few days. I think one of the two eggs I found was hers, but why would she basically pretend to lay another egg? Or maybe I do have a third chicken laying eggs Im not sure. If she did lay an egg earlier in the morning why would she go to her nest box again and then come out singing her song, but with no egg this time?? Not concerned just curious. These chcickens do have quite the personalities.

She has been laying for a few days. I think one of the two eggs I found was hers, but why would she basically pretend to lay another egg? Or maybe I do have a third chicken laying eggs Im not sure. If she did lay an egg earlier in the morning why would she go to her nest box again and then come out singing her song, but with no egg this time?? Not concerned just curious. These chcickens do have quite the personalities.
Sometimes they just announce for the heck of it. Is she hiding her eggs by chance?

'Egg Song' not necessarily indicative of an egg being laid....sometimes they just sound off!

ETA: one thing for sure with chickens....is that you can't always be sure why they do what they do...lol!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom