Egg song from a roo??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilyD, Aug 7, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay I have a group of hens and roos that are 15 weeks old this Tuesday. So far I haven't seen any squatting and I haven't seen any mating with the roos. The hens are getting redder combs but so far no action. Lately I am hearing one of the roosters doing the bok bok bok bakock egg song like a hen would do after laying an egg. Is this normal? Do the roosters teach the hens the egg song before they start laying?

Just wondering.

They are sex linked so there is no way to get the roos and hens mixed up. Hens are all dark reddish color and the roos are white both with large red combs and wattles.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Could you post a pic? Any way that you got a white leghorn or other white pullet mixed in? [​IMG]

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I can get a picture in the morning it's already dark here so it would be hard to take pictures of him now. I ordered them from Welp there were 17 pullets (some for me some for my sister) and 8 Roosters (two that I kept) that had blue dots on their head. They are all supposed to be Gold Comets. He also crows starting at 5:30 in the morning and anytime from then on until dark lol so I am pretty sure he's a rooster.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Are you sure he's not doing a "predator alert" call? To my ears the predator alert and egg song from my hens sound almost identical.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The danger! Alert! Call is the same as the Egg Song, except louder, more rapid cadence, and more urgent.

With that being said, several of my Roos will join the chorus and sing the Egg Song with the girls.

6. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My roo sings the egg song with his favorite girl.

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Every rooster I've had has sung the egg song with his hens. They also sang it when he thought they should lay.

8. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Mine roosters have always sang with girls too after laying. Of course, its that particular roos girls that he sings with.

I just got back yesterday, having picked up a pair of Marans, a roo and a hen. Shortly after getting to know their new pen, I heard the egg song from the other side of the coop. Woo hoo!!! My first Marans egg... I was so eggcited... My RIR roo was even singing along with the new girl.

After giving her a moment I walked around the coop to see the proud girl singing her egg song for the first time for me...

[​IMG]

Hmmmph.

I sincerely hope he isn't having gender identity issues... that would be such a waste... it was him singing, with the other roo chiming in like it was a hen. And mine have never done the "egg song" when predators are around... the roos have always used a growl when anything is around.

9. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    My roo does a duet of the egg song with his girls. He will sing it to announce them going to the coop to lay. Once she is done laying the hen will start up & again & he will come running back to the coop signing his part of the chorus and will not stop till he has inspected his egg. This is also a time I do not interfere with him - his little rooster brain goes into meltdown if someone tries to steal his freshly laid egg.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have 5 roos and they ALL join in the egg song with any girl that lays and sings....the noise is MUCH louder than a rooster crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by