Egg song singing rooster

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
I was on the roof working on our latest house renovation yesterday when I heard the egg song coming from our "chicklet" pen. I looked down and there in his full glory was "Laru" who is one of our Silver Sebright roosters cackling away doing the egg song. I shouted "Hey! You're a rooster not a hen." and he quieted down. Perhaps he is just trying to find his inner hen.

Anyone else have roos that sing the egg song regularly?

I HAD one that would do the egg song after his favorite hen finished laying...
smile.png

Some rooster noses sound just like hen songs. I've always thought it was when something was upsetting him or out of place.

My boys sing with the hens. The hen sings the song and then the boys (plus other girls) answer, then the hen, then the boys....on and on and on for about 10 minutes.

Every bit as loud as crowing,

Sandie

I have a hatchery Silkie that we really think is gender confused! He crows in the morning and sings the egg song in the afternoon, even though none of the girls in his pen are laying. We were really confused for a while thinking one of the girls was laying, but were never finding any eggs. Then, we were working in the garden next to the coop and saw him do it! He is so funny to watch and the girls cock their heads and look at him like he is crazy!

Perhaps you rooster is old enough to start laying eggs....
wink.png
Even though it is an extremely rare case, roosters that do lay eggs, lay solid gold eggs. So there is a chance to become a millionaire.....

Back
Top Bottom