1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Spots and Wrinkled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThornyRidge, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Noticed on one of my new layers (White Leghorn) she has laid a couple eggs with wavy/wrinked shells.. others are fine. Causes? Diet? Also I noticed in breaking open a few of my eggs (all from new layers) some of them have a brown speck (not bright red blood spot) in the contents usually on the yolk area. It is flat and easily removed. What causes this. My chickens are on a diet of layer pellets and scratch grains with a few b.o.s.s thrown in once ina while.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

All is ok, normal. Like my mom used to say "if that was coming out of you, don't you think it would have wrinkles too!?!" Each hen has their own "finger print" on their eggs, eventually it will pass as they will be more relaxed. The brownish spot is nothing other then a spot, a lot of eggs have them. It is a tiny peice of tissue that came with the egg in the reproductive tract, it will not be noticed when you cook it although you could pick it out.

3. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    yat new layers will often give misshaped eggs but i dont know about the spot fortunatly for me non of my hens hve ever given me a deformed egg.

4. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    yat new i meant ya new

5. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree with spook all is well![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by