EGG SQUAT!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenMama6RIR, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ChickenMama6RIR

ChickenMama6RIR Overrun With Chickens

Four days after I got rid of my roosters one of my Easter Eggers laid her first egg. It was a beautiful green!!!! On the same day my other two Pullet started doing the egg squat. This was 3 days ago. My question is, how long until they lay now. I am very anxious for eggs lol! I have waited for MONTHS!!!! Let's just say patience isn't my middle name :lau! I understand they are close to laying.... But how close?

TomZilla43 and Egg - Static like this.
  2. ChickenMama6RIR

Oh, and when will my EE lay another egg? She only laid one.

3. chickiemom3

chickiemom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2016
    Northeastern OH
    Typically when pullets start the submissive squat, they begin laying within 1 week (although I think mine were closer to 2 weeks). I've never had EEs laying so I'm not sure about the next egg. Good luck on that! We have 3 EE that are 8 weeks old right now, so I'm crossing my fingers for green eggs like yours!

ChickenMama6RIR likes this.
  4. ChickenMama6RIR

Yay! So hopefully any day now!!!! I probably check the nesting box every 30 minutes to an hour lol :lau I have one more we doing the submissive squat and then one buff orpington. I love my EEs. They don't really like affection, but they are gorgeous! I will post a pic of the egg. I hope yours lay green also! I want my second one to either lay a different shades of green, any shade of blue, or a Maran brown :D

5. ChickenMama6RIR

It was a double yolker!
    20170530_151338.jpg

Maeschak and TomZilla43 like this.
  6. ChickenMama6RIR

So, it's good when you see your chicken (that's doing the submissive squat) checking out the nesting box multiple times a day, right?

TomZilla43 likes this.
  7. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    NO, not for a older man----That's why I like to keep a rooster with mine----so when I walk in they are not squatting in front of me causing me to about trip----LOL.

8. ChickenMama6RIR

Lol I could see how that can be an issue. My Roosters were mean so I got rid of them :( :)

9. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I get rid of a mean Rooster too, but I always get another one, But I have been known to hatch 1000's of eggs so I need them fertile.

10. ChickenMama6RIR

Nice! I wish I could hatch thousands of eggs :D I thought about getting another rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by